Warren County’s history in pictures
The Sugar Grove Seminary was built in 1882. It was a college preparatory school featuring four departments: Academic, Commercial, Music, and Art. It cost $15,000 to build and charged a tuition fee of $7 per 13-week term or $16 for room and board, laundry services and tuition. The seminary closed in 1914 and became a public school in 1917. It went through a series of changes during its life as a public school including the Sugar Grove Borough Public School, the Sugar Grove-Farmington joint Junior-Senior High School, the Northern Area Joint High School, and finally the Sugar Grove Union Grade School. The building was razed in 1963 to make way for the current school building. The seminary’s bell sits on the front lawn of Sugar Grove Elementary School today. This image is courtesy of the Warren County Historical Society. For more information, visit www.warrenhistory.org and like the Warren County Historical Society on Facebook.