Century-old building had varied history
The brick building between Fourth and Fifth avenues and Chestnut Street and Public Way that burned Monday night is mentioned in Warren County deeds as far back as 1912.
Called the Warren Mills Building, it was home to Glendora Products for 23 years.
According to a document found at the Warren County Historical Society, the five-story, 17,000 square-foot building was used to mix and roast 10,000 pounds of coffee a day.
Glendora Products prepared and packaged a variety of foodstuffs for Smith & Horton Company, a wholesale grocer. The Warren County Historical Society has a packet of historical information about Smith & Horton that includes labels from cans of fruit and bags that once contained flour and coffee, as well as written and photograpic documents.
The Conewango Cheese and Conewango Butter cold storage plant sat between the Smith & Horton building to the east and the Glendora factory to the west. The large chimney that still stands a few feet east of what remains of the burned building was part of the cheese factory and is visible in historic pictures and drawings of the complex.
According to the 1912 deed unearthed at the office of the Warren County Register and Recorder, Myron Waters, George Ensworth, and Andrew Hertzel, acquired the property on March 17, 1891 “by sundry conveyance.”
Charlotte Waters and several others sold the property, including “the brick mill building” to Smith & Horton Company in 1912.
It then passed to Glendora Products for $10, on Aug. 13, 1918.
Glendora sold it to Struthers Wells-Titusville Corp. on Oct. 14, 1941, for the even lower price of $1.
After a name change, Struthers Wells Corp. sold the building and other property to Dennie and Mary DiPierro for $3,500 in 1972, who sold it and other properties to Saybrook Land Company in 1998 for $20,000. The John Dorsey Branch Trust acquired the building on Aug. 17, 2011, for $1.