DAC tours Horton House
The Kanoagoa Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists held its spring meeting at the Horton House Bed & Breakfast in Warren. Craig Scalise, owner, presented a history and tour of the house. Refreshments were served in the dining room.
Judi Wilson, regent, announced work is progressing on replacing the plaque at Washington Park which has been missing for several years. The plaque was dedicated on August 9, 1932. It was placed on a native stone boulder with the names of the 13 public spirited men who purchased the 60 acres in 1922 and felt that it should be preserved for all time for the enjoyment of Warren citizens. It was dedicated ten years later during the George Washington bi-centennial.
Washington Park, nearly 500 feet higher that Warren itself, affords the best and most complete view of the Allegheny River valley.
Names on the stone included The Magna Charta Dames, The Society of Mayflower Descendants, The Ancient and Honorable Artillery, The Daughters of the American Colonists, The Daughters of the American Revolution, and The U.S. Daughters of 1812. This stone is definitely part of Warren’s history and needs to be preserved for future generations to enjoy.
The Kanoagoa Chapter has made a donation to the preservation of the plaque. The committee for the meeting was Helen Clark, Barb Trisket, Kelly Case and Lynn Nicklas. Any woman interested in joining the society or making a donation may contact Wilson at 726-7240.